Cedella Marley, daughter of reggae legend Bob Marley, combines the healing properties of cannabis with her wellness regimen in Cooking with Herb. Note: This recipe requires Cannabutter.
This sweet, creamy, rich corn dish is a party favorite at my house. It brings a more sophisticated and reﬁned quality to an Herb party—serve it with a kale salad and maybe the Snapper Escovitch or a piece of grilled jerk chicken and you have a ﬁne meal that could be served in any restaurant (but yours is better because it is made with love . . . and Herb!).
8 servings (5mg THC per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grate three ears of corn on the medium holes of a box grater into a large bowl. Hold the remaining ear of corn upright and use a large sharp knife to slice from top to bottom, removing the kernels from the cob. Add the kernels to the corn pulp. Whisk in the egg, then add 1 cup of the milk, the cornmeal, sugar, cayenne, 1⁄2 cup of the cheddar, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of the butter and the CannaButter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the scallions, jalapeños, Scotch bonnet, thyme, 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the scallions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Stir the ﬂour into the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until it becomes golden, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup milk, stirring occasionally, so you don’t get any lumps, then remove from the heat. Add the mixture to the corn mixture, whisking to combine.
- Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 11⁄2-quart baking dish with the 1 tablespoon softened butter. Scrape in the corn mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheddar and continue to bake until the edges are set and the center is just barely set (but a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean), about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley, and serve
Reprinted from COOKING WITH HERB by arrangement with Pam Krauss Books/Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2017, Cedella Marley, Raquel Pelzel