In Bobby Flay Fit, the famed chef shares his favorite dishes adapted for a healthier lifestyle.
This is a perfect example of a dish where fresh flavors please the palate and satisfy: thin slices of salty rich ham, fresh green herbs, sweet tomatoes, creamy eggs, and crunchy toast. You may see Manchego cheese and Serrano ham and think, how is this healthy? Small amounts add big flavor, and “everything in moderation” is my mantra.
- Start the tomato bread: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Arrange the bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside, about 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately rub the garlic over the top of each slice, drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- While the bread is toasting, grate the tomatoes on a grater set over a bowl and season with salt.
- Cook the eggs: In a large nonstick sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat until the mixture begins to shimmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and whites until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the pan and cook, stirring with a rubber spatula, until large curds form and the mixture is just set, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the herbs and cheese.
- Divide the tomato mixture among the slices of bread, top with the eggs, and then top each slice with half a slice of the ham. Garnish with chives.
Reprinted from Bobby Flay Fit. Copyright © 2017 by Boy Meets Grill, Inc. Photographs copyright © 2017 by Ed Anderson. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.