Skillet Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd's Pie
For the Topping
sweet potatoes, scrubbed
For the Filling
ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
Skillet Sweet Potato and Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Three time-saving tricks get this shepherd’s pie on the table fast: Microwave the sweet potatoes, sauté the filling, and bake it all right in the same skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe plate (if you use a glass pie plate, you can transfer them right to the oven later). Microwave the sweet potatoes 4 minutes. Turn them over and microwave 4 minutes more. Transfer the potatoes to the oven and bake 10 minutes, or until very tender. Set the sweet potatoes aside to cool, and turn the oven down to 425 degrees for the shepherd’s pie.
- While the sweet potatoes bake and cool, make the filling: Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, carrot, celery, onion, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Cook, stirring often, until the veggies are soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and spices (cumin, chipotle, and cinnamon), and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook, stirring, until it is browned. Stir in the flour. Add the chicken broth, bring to a fast simmer, and cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste. Taste and add an additional 1/4 teaspoon chipotle, if you like.
- Meanwhile, when the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh with a spoon. In a food processor (or by hand), mash the sweet potato with the next 6 ingredients (milk through cayenne) until smooth. Season with salt to taste, if necessary.
- Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the turkey mixture in the skillet. (If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, you can bake this in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.) Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, and then broil for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the sweet potatoes around the edges.
Recipe by Tara Tuckwiller