This easygoing bread doesn’t require any advanced technique. It’s perfect for a sleepy weekend morning; the ingredients can easily be mixed in a half-awake state. In under 10 minutes it’s in the oven, and it’s ready in under an hour. Slices toast up beautifully the next day—if there’s any left over.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
- On the stovetop, melt the butter, then pour into a small bowl with the buttermilk.
- Add egg to buttermilk and butter mixture, and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Consistency should be wet, but firm.
- Pour the dough into a greased or parchment paper lined loaf pan and sprinkle oats over the top.
- Back for 50 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Jessica Colley Clarke is a freelance food and travel writer based in New York City. She is always planning her next meal and next trip to Ireland.