This recipe can be baked before the guests arrive and just heated in the oven for a few minutes to warm up before serving. It also makes an excellent dessert, if you have leftovers. We bake this in a paella pan, which looks great, but any baking pan will do. I recommend an 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together eggs, yolks, brown sugar, coconut milk, and vanilla.
- In a dry skillet melt the white sugar until brown, melted, and caramelized, and pour in the bottom of your baking dish. It doesn’t need to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with the cubed bread, add the blackberries, and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until just set. The pudding can sit at room temperature until almost ready to serve. Reheat it for 5 minutes before dishing it up.
- The bread pudding can be served as is, or you can sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and caramelize the sugar with a blowtorch or under the broiler. Alternately, you can serve it topped with a dollop of whipped cream or whipped coconut cream and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Recipe by Helene Henderson
Helene Henderson owns and runs Malibu Farm Restaurant and Malibu Farm Pier Café, both of which focus on sourcing fresh, organic, and local produce and goods from local vendors and small farmers, including eggs and produce sourced from her own farm.