Flourless Chocolate Cake
sticks of butter, roughly chopped, plus extra for greasing pan
dark chocolate wafers (used 73% cacao)
shots of espresso (2 oz)
dark brown sugar
good quality cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
pure vanilla extract
Whipped cream for serving (optional)
This flourless chocolate cake is incredibly fudgy, slightly gooey, and insanely rich and chocolaty.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line and grease a 9-inch spring form pan. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Place the butter, chocolate, and espresso in a heat proof bowl that fits snuggly over a pot. Fill the pot with a few inches of water. Bring the water to a simmer. Place the bowl over the pot. Whisk the chocolate until completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the egg yolks, ½ cup brown sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Place the egg whites into a separate bowl. With an electric beater, beat on medium-high speed until frothy. Slowly add in the reserved ½ cup of brown sugar. Continue to beat until firm peaks form. In batches, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake, about 35 minutes, until set around the edges but still a bit wobbly in the middle. Let rest 10 minutes. Dust the top of the cake with cocoa powder.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.