I was reading an interview with Common, the rapper/actor/activist, wherein he said that our Little Pine chocolate chip cookies were one of his favorite things. This made me love Common even more, especially for his clearly evolved and unimpeachable taste in cookies. Really, though— and I can say this without being a braggart as I didn’t invent this recipe— these are probably the best vegan chocolate chip cookies in town/in the country/in the world/in this solar system. When made right, they should be alternately gooey and crisp in all the right places. Serve with napkins, because . . . chocolate. P.S. Adding vanilla bean ice cream is encouraged.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two 9 × 13- inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt on low speed until creamy but not whipped. In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, egg replacer, and water. Add to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Sift the ﬂour and baking soda into the mixer bowl. Start to pulse the mixture while slowly adding in the chocolate chips until the dough comes together.
- Using a 1½- ounce cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1 inch apart. Refrigerate the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Leave on the baking sheet until completely cooled. Store the cookies, covered, at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the coconut oil, soy milk, sunflower oil, and soy lecithin powder and blend on high speed until thoroughly combined. Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate overnight to harden before use.
- Store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks or in the freezer for 1 month.
From THE LITTLE PINE COOKBOOK: Modern Plant-Based Comfort by Moby, to be published on September 7, 2021 by Avery, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC. Copyright © 2021 by Moby Entertainment, Inc.