Megan Gilmore gives guidance on how to lead a healthier lifestyle in No Excuses Detox.
If you’re not familiar with baked ziti, it features all of the flavors of lasagna without the extra layering work. This dish is based on that idea, but instead of cooking pasta as you would for the traditional version, you’ll use cauliflower as a lower-carb and higher-nutrient alternative. All of my taste testers, even self-proclaimed cauliflower haters, were surprised that this dish tasted like lasagna and not at all like cauliflower!
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower and pizza sauce and stir well to coat. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and, once bubbling, lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot to let the cauliflower cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, grated cheese, and salt. Set aside.
- After the cauliflower is tender, stir in the spinach and simmer to cook off any excess moisture in the pot, to ensure that the final result isn’t watery. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the egg and cheese mixture. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the eggs have set and the cheese is bubbly on top. Allow the dish to cool for 10 minutes, then serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and sauté the onion until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, basil, and vinegar and bring the sauce to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust any seasonings. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze in individual portions for up to 3 months, so you always have pizza sauce on hand!
Reprinted with permission from No Excuses Detox, copyright © 2017 by Megan Gilmore, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.