Black Bean Chipotle Burgers With Spicy Mayo
(16-ounce) can black beans, no salt added, drained well (I let them drain overnight in a colander in the refrigerator)
Olive or vegetable oil
portobello mushroom, finely diced
red onion, finely diced
cloves garlic, minced
green bell pepper, finely diced
chipotle chiles plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (more or less to taste)
fine bread crumbs
chopped cilantro, stems and leaves
Sea salt to taste
chipotles, finely chopped, more or less to taste
A few teaspoons adobo sauce, more or less to taste
A canned chipotle or two in adobo sauce adds a nice pop of heat and smoke to your plain-Jane black bean burger. It also elevates everyday mayo, transforming it into a sublime condiment for burgers and a tasty dipping sauce for a side of fries.
- Place ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans until mostly smooth.
- Set a frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mushrooms and onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add the diced peppers and cook for another minute until they begin to soften. Mix with beans. Let cool.
- Stir in the egg, chipotle, and adobo sauce, cumin, bread crumbs and cilantro. Mix until just combined. Season with salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; add oil. When skillet is coated and pan is hot, add the burgers and cook, about 5 minutes per side. Alternatively, grill over an open flame.